Sunday, May 10, 2020

"MICRODYNAMICS 2020, Xavier G Solís" -- (Art in a time of Covid)


"The state of emergency confined me to my workshop, where I was putting the final touches on an installation that was to open in Barcelona on March 27, 2020. Coronavirus. I felt the collective pain touching my skin, clouding my heart.

Now in lockdown, I rediscovered a series of unpublished engravings I had made with a steamroller almost ten years ago, when the anti-austerity movement took over the country’s public squares.

Now, they revealed subtle meanings within the universe of the dynamics of abuse of power in which I had conceived them: predators feeding off disorder, sinister economic forces emerging, figures making invisible threats, examples of arrogance and cruelty.

But there are also many examples of creative solidarity. The anonymous bravery of unprecedented sensitivity that comes from looking after one other.

And in the light of coming together in this forced coexistence, I reanalysed the entire series and noticed that the engravings had grown."

More videos of his work here.

No comments: